All well know that protecting the skin from the sun’s rays is very important for several reasons.
In the short term, ultraviolet rays cause burns and irritations to the skin. And, in the long run, the chances of skin cancer increase significantly.
Now, is it better to use sunscreen or a moisturizer with SPF?
By way of introduction, note that a moisturizer with SPF is limited to the face area.
Unlike sunscreen, it does not cover the faces much, especially in the area around the eyes.
Advantages of sunscreen
Sunscreen cream has several advantages and benefits that are interesting to know.
- Skin aging– It is estimated that the sun is responsible for about 80% of the main signs of skin aging, such as wrinkles and fine lines. Thus, protecting the skin from the sun’s rays is essential.
- Protection: the body has a great facility to absorb UV rays during sun exposure. A protective cream serves as a shield to prevent them from penetrating the skin and causing damage.
- Spots: sunbathing without any protection significantly increases the risk of spots appearing, especially on the face.
- Tanning: as for tanning, if you use a good protective cream, which suits your type and skin tone, you will get to show off your tan for longer. In this way, the sun does not burn your face and body but progressively tans them.
- Hydration– The sunscreens that you can find on the market today protect the skin and moisturize it in depth. Thus, it has a brighter and more beautiful appearance.
Advantages of moisturizer with SPF
One of the best-selling cosmetic products today is moisturizers with SPF. Experts recommend starting to use 20 to strengthen the skin’s natural barrier and prevent premature aging.
In addition to Sun Protection Factor, the cream must have antioxidant properties to maintain elastin and collagen levels.
One of the main advantages of this type of creams is that we can use them throughout the year, not only in summer. Surely there are not many of us who apply sunscreen in the middle of December.
But if we include in our beauty routine a moisturizer adapted to our skin type with SPF, everything is much easier.
And it is that, although UVB rays affect more during the summer months, UVA rays have a greater presence in winter.
That is why it is important to use cream of this type in the daily beauty routine throughout the year.
Which is better?
The SPF (Sun Protection Factor) appears in all cosmetic products that contain filters that protect the skin from ultraviolet and infrared rays of the sun.
To this day, numerous cosmetic brands around the world have lazed moisturizers that have sun protection.
Researchers at the University of Liverpool and published in the journal PLOS ONE found that SPF moisturizing products do not offer sunscreen protection.
The main reason is straightforward: we do not apply as much product as we do with sunscreen.
The journalist Claire Coleman, responsible for another study to determine how far it reaches sun damage, believes that for the health and appearance of the skin, the best option is to apply sunscreen, both on the face and on the body.
He points out that moisturizers with SPF also protect, but we do not apply enough product, nor do we handle it uniformly.
In conclusion, during the summer months, it is more advisable that you use sunscreen.
The rest of the year, to continue protection from the sun’s rays, you can introduce into your beauty routine a moisturizer with SPF.
If you want to have your skin and that of your family well protected from the sun’s rays, do not miss these useful tips and accessories:
- How often do I have to apply sunscreen? : It’s not as obvious as it seems… and many people don’t do it well, are you among them?
- The best sunscreens to buy: types, formats, tips…
- If you love to enjoy the outdoors with the people you love most, you can not miss one of these Umbrellas with sun protection.